Turkish Embassy in Vilnius

Embassy

HISTORY OF THE EMBASSY BUILDING

 

The building is situated at Didzioji str. 37 in the center of Vilnius old-town, near City Hall (Rotuse). According to official records of 1715-1736, two-story stone building, known in existence since 1599, has belonged to one of the leading merchants in the city.

 

In 1749 the building has been damaged by fire, and in 1808 it has been sold in an auction. The sales document records show that part of two-story building has been made of stone, the other part has been wooden. According to researches, carried out in 1982 and in 1989-1992, in the 18th century it has been turned into three-story building with an indoor garden. During examinations of building’s front facade looking to the street, Rococo style wall paintings of 18th  century’s third quarter have been discovered under layers of parget. Part of them is painted on the front facade of the building to show an example of original design.

 

From 1839 to the Second World War the building has been used as girl’s orphanage, later it was turned into children’s hospital.

 

After children’s hospital has moved in 1984, the building, worn out and in time starting to tumble and was abandoned for a while.

 

Purchased by the Republic of Turkey and after two years of restoration, the building started to serve as the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey in 1992. Situated in one of the most prestigious parts of Vilnius, the building is on touristic route and is under protection as a historical cultural heritage.